The Tour Plan
The tour plan is an excellent tool to ensure everyone is prepared for a safe and fun adventure. It guides a tour leader through itineraries, travel arrangements, two-deep leadership, qualifications of supervision, and transportation. Completing a tour plan may not address all possible challenges, but can help ensure that appropriate planning has been conducted.
Only “direct contact” adult leaders can apply for tour plans and use the online system. Please follow this link to determine if you (in your registered position) are able to apply for a tour plans for your unit. The applicant will need to provide detailed information about tour destination; dates; itinerary; participation and leadership; transportation plans (including vehicle information, driver’s license numbers, and insurance coverage); and the training certifications for Youth Protection and any other certifications needed for the tour.
An informative Frequently Asked Questions page is located on the BSA website:
Determine if you need a Tour Plan
To assist in the development of your tour plan, it should be completed online at least three weeks (21 days) in advance of the trip and are required for the following:
- Trips of 500 miles or more
- Trips outside the council borders.
- Trips to any national high-adventure base, National Scout Jamboree, National Order of the Arrow conference, or regionally-sponsored event.
- When conducting the following unit activities not associated with a council or district events:
- Aquatics activities (swimming, boating, floating, scuba, etc.)
- Climbing and rappelling
- Orientation flights (process flying plan)
- Shooting sports
- Any activities involving motorized vehicles as part of the program (snowmobiles, boating, etc.)
- Trips to facilities that require a Tour Plan, such as military bases, state parks, etc. When units have pre-registered to attend a New Birth of Freedom Council or district event (Camporees, Summer Camp, Day Camp, Webelos Camp, etc.) a Tour Plan is not required.
How to file your Tour Plan electronically
The online tour plan system allows you to create and submit to council your tour permit quickly. Before you begin you will need to collect the information you will enter when creating and submitting a tour plan application. You will need:
- Detailed information about tour destination
- Departure and return dates
- Tour itinerary
- Participation and leadership
- Transportation plans (vehicle information, drivers’ license numbers, and insurance coverage)
- Training certifications for Youth Protection and any other course needed for the tour
Note: An online video tutorial is available at http://www.youtube.com/embed/nHtiwQABy-I?rel=0
Creating a tour plan application
- From the MyScouting logon page www.myscouting.org , enter your e-mail address and password. Click Sign-In.
- After signing into the MyScouting profile, select Tour and Activity Plan under Unit Tools. Please note the links within the blue box for important information. Please take a few minutes to view the checklist page.
- Click GO to create a new plan.
- From Your Unit: select a unit. The council and district will automatically display.
- Then, choose from Type of Trip. You will find links for required forms to be completed for the tour.
- Next, select Method of Transportation.
- Finally, please fill out the Emergency Contact information and click Next.
Note: Only registered adult leaders (any position) can file a Tour Plan application. An unregistered parent may not.
Entering trip/activity information
- Under Tour and Activity Plan Title, please enter a name for your trip.
- Under Description, please enter a brief description of the activity involved.
- Next, enter the number of Adults and Youth under Attendance. Once completed click Next.
Entering adult attendee information
- Under Add Registered Adults click on the drop down arrow beside Adult Lookup. This will show you all registered adults in your unit. Once you choose an adult, you will see all their current information displayed.
- Answer all Yes or No questions regarding this adult.
- Answer all Vehicle Information if required.
- Once you have completed the information, click ADD in the upper right corner.
- Continue this process until all registered adults attending this trip have been added.
- To add any other adult who is not registered, click ADD OTHER ADULT.
- When finished, click NEXT.
Where are you going?
- Under the Departing area, enter the date of the trip, country, city and state.
- Next, click on the Going To section. Enter the date, country, city and state of your destination. There is also an area to fill in your overnight accommodations if necessary. Once this is filled in, click on the Add Destination to the right in blue lettering. If you are continuing on to another destination, click Add Destination and complete for each designation you will be attending.
- Next, click on the Returning section and add all the necessary details.
- A Notes section is provided to enter any additional information regarding your trip.
- If you choose to, you can upload map routes or trekking plans and attach them to your trip.
- Click Next.
What activity will you be doing?
- Please select the activity you will be doing by clicking on it. You may choose more than one. If your activity is not listed, please click on Other Activity to list it. (Note: if choosing Orientation Flights, you will be direct to complete a required flying plan. This form should be filled out, scanned and uploaded for attachment. Click Next.
Are you prepared?
- The Required Training will populate automatically for the training needed for your trip. Please choose the attending adult who carries this training.
- Please note the Essential Reading area links are provided to help educate you on BSA policy.
- Next, fill out the Yes or No questions under Don’t Forget.
- If needed, you can print the Guide to Tour and Activity Planning Principles to take along with you.
- Click Next.
Tour and Activity Plan Leadership Notification page
Here you will find individuals who will be notified of your plan after submission. You may edit and update their email address here. Edit as needed and then click Next.
Please review all items shown in the Summary to ensure they are correct. Items indicated in red are incomplete or incorrect, and items in yellow need further attention to make corrections. Use the “previous” button or click on the highlighted items to return to the previous screens. You may print the Summary page by clicking on the printer symbol located in the upper right hand corner. When you are ready, please click Next.
This page will allow you to certify all necessary information has been completed and provided. You may print the certification by clicking on the printer symbol located in the upper right hand corner. When you are done, click SUBMIT. You will then be taken to the final screen of people notified of the plan, and clicking CLOSE will take you to the home page.
If you are experiencing difficulty with the submittal of your tour plan, please contact your District Executive or contact Sharon Gochenauer (email@example.com).