The New Birth of Freedom Council, BSA believes that every Scout should be given an opportunity to take part in a summer outdoor experience. The council’s Campership Fund was established to ensure that Scouts who, without financial assistance, would not be able to attend camp. Funding to provide camperships are solicited year-round from individuals, community organizations and at selected council-wide special fundraising events.
The council’s efforts to raise money for camperships to be awarded in 2017 have been quite successful, but funding is not unlimited and we ask only those with true need apply for a campership. Also, youth members are expected to help earn their own way in Scouting and each unit should provide an opportunity for Scouts to participate in fundraising activities. Teaching youth members to be self-reliant and to help earn their own way is an integral part of the Scouting program. Verification that Council assistance is needed to help pay for any summer camp program is required by both a parent/guardian AND a unit leader.
Unit leaders are asked to promote awareness of the availability of these campership funds so that no Scout is unable to attend summer camp because of their family’s financial situation.
All applications are considered based solely on financial need. Please complete this application, indicating your financial situation and why you feel financial needed is necessary. Assistance is normally granted for up to 50% of the camp attendance fee. Depending on available funding that year, a limited number of campership awards greater than 50% of the camp fee may be provided, based upon financial need. Information provided on all applications are handled with the utmost discretion and shared on a strict need-to-know basis.
Completion of this application does not guarantee a campership grant or a particular amount. All applications are reviewed by the Campership Committee or their designees.
Other points of consideration as you complete the application:
- Camperships are for New Birth of Freedom Council Scouts attending New Birth of Freedom Council camping programs only.
- Each Scout requesting financial aid must fill out a separate form.
- Camperships will be provided for only ONE camp/week/session if attending multiple weeks/camps.
- The deadline for submitting a campership application is April 1 (of the year attending camp). Distribution of camperships will be made by April 22.
- Applications may be submitted after the due date, however, keep in mind that all available campership funds may have already been distributed.
- All requests will be considered in a confidential manner. Families will be notified if financial assistance is awarded after the committee meets.
- Each recipient is encouraged to write a letter about their experience at camp to the Committee.
- Amount of request is not a guarantee of campership amount granted.
- Applications must be approved by the unit.
- ALL requested information must be completed; INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE RETURNED WITHOUT PROCESSING.
- To be eligible for a campership, the applicant’s family must be below the following guidelines (based on the total pre-tax income of the family and the number of people in the family. Please see chart below.
- Extenuating circumstances are considered when determining eligibility (e.g. if a family has extraordinary circumstances that reduce their income to or below the ranges listed.) Please list these on the application form.
Please return completed applications to:
New Birth of Freedom Council, BSA
1 Baden Powell Lane
Mechanicsburg, PA 17050
Attention: NBOF Camperships