The New Birth of Freedom Council is encouraging all Cub Scout Packs, Scouts BSA Troops, Venturing Crews, Sea Scout Ships, Explorer Posts, and STEM Labs to participate in this year’s Good Turn for America Food and Shelter Drive. This is the single largest service project conducted by our Council.
This event will take place over the first two Saturdays in November. On November 7, 2020 units should go around their local communities placing door hangers to notify the community that we are conducting a local food and shelter drive. Then on November 14, 2020 units should go around to the same communities that they hung their door hangers in and pick up the food and shelter items and deliver them to a local shelter or food bank of their choice.
Units that are planning to participate can preorder their door hangers by clicking here. Door hangers should be ordered in quantities of 50. The door hangers will be at either the York or Mechanicsburg Service Centers.
Once the collection is completed, we ask that you submit your results and participation electronically using our updated e-mail me form. Every registered Scout that helps with this service project will receive a participation patch from the council if the results and participation are reported by the end of November.
We also ask that units try and work with their neighboring units to cover as much of our council’s territory as possible. This is a great community service project that does a lot of good and can get your unit some positive exposure in the community. Any questions related to the food and shelter drive can be directed to Rebekah Schardt at Rebekah.Schardt@scouting.org.
When the Drives are finished Packs, Troops, and Crews please make sure to enter your hours of service on my.scouting.org so it can be tallied as part of your 2020 Journey to Excellence.
In addition to providing a service to our local communities, participating Scouts and units receive a Good Turn for America patch. Please fill out the 2020 form so that we can make sure your unit gets their patches.
FAQs for Units:
How do I order door hangers?
All door hanger orders must be submitted using this link by the end of September. We will be placing the order with the printer in early October and cannot guarantee that we will have enough door hangers for your unit if we do not have your order in September.
Do I need to use door hangers to participate?
No, you don’t. However, we do still recommend that you sign up using the e-mail me form by the end of September to make sure we don’t have multiple units requesting donations in the same area.
Some units do choose to print their own fliers, and that is fine. Just make sure that whatever you leave at someone’s house has all the key information on it:
- This is the “Scouting For Food and Shelter Drive”.
- Let them know that food donations will be picked up on the second Saturday in November.
- Let each house know that to donate, they should place items in a plastic bag and put it outside their front door in plain view of the street by 9 AM. Scouts in their community will arrive after 9 AM and collect the food donation.
- Let each house know that items collected by the Scouts will be distributed at no cost to families in need through several local shelters and food banks.
- Include contact information. This is a great time to promote Scouting in general, and your unit specifically. Include your unit information and include the dates for your next Open House. If you don’t have a recruitment event scheduled, include the link www.BeAScout.org.
Additional Unit Resources:
- Scouting for Food Participant Roster Form. All results from your unit’s drive should be completed using the e-mail me form. However you can can use the attached roster to keep track of volunteers and donations for your unit.