The New Birth of Freedom Council Climbing Committee is offering a COPE and Climbing Foundations course the weekend of June 5 and 6 from 8 AM to 5 PM. Individuals must attend both days for completion. This course includes a mix of classroom and hands-on instruction (be prepared for 1-2 evening sessions via Zoom to cover portions of the curriculum) and is structured to provide training in activity planning, risk management, site operations, safety, rescue techniques, equipment, belaying, climbing, and rappelling. This training prepares the student to run the Climbing Tower at Camp Tuckahoe & Hidden Valley Scout Reservation or other artificial surfaces, teach the Climbing merit badge, and participate as an instructor in future classes.
What to bring:
– BSA Annual Health and Medical Record
– 2 water bottles (32 oz or larger), a packed cold lunch, and day packs to carry food and gear to the site for the day.
– Climbing appropriate clothing: includes well-fitting shoes, pants and shirts that don’t restrict movement and appropriate for the weather, sunglasses
– Optional to bring: personal climbing harness, personal climbing helmet, climbing shoes, leather gloves for rappelling
– Do not bring personal climbing ropes, slings, tethers, or webbing.
If you have additional questions, please contact Jeff Campbell.