The New Birth of Freedom Council is encouraging all Cub Scout Packs, Scouts BSA Troops, Venturing Crews, Sea Scout Ships, Explorer Posts, and STEM Labs to organize a Blood Drive this spring in coordination with the Central Penn Blood Bank. Local Blood Banks need donations to help save lives in central PA.
Preparing for the 2021 Annual Blood Drive
This event will take take place between March and June. Units can complete the e-mail me form registration on-line. A copy of this form will automatically be sent to your contact at Central Penn Blood Bank. Your unit will then work directly with the Donor Resource Coordinator to finish scheduling your drive.
What to Expect
The units primary roll in running a Blood Drive will be to help with the planning and advertising. Units will be responsible for:
- Finding a location to hold the drive.
- Advertising the Blood Drive.
- Scouts can assist in setting up the location before the event and breaking down the location after the event.
- The day of the drive, Scouts may welcome donors as they approach the building.
Due to current COVID restrictions, there may be limitations as to how Scouts can help inside the building. Please follow all restrictions from the PA Health Department and the specific location.
Suggested General Timeline:
- February 2021 – Units should select a Unit Contact. This is generally an adult who will take the lead in organizing the unit’s participation.
- March 2021 – The Unit Contact will register the unit to participate in the event. The registration form can be completed on-line by clicking here. To complete the registration form, it would be helpful to have the following information handy:
- Expected number of youth and adult volunteers.
- If multiple units are working together, please include the unit type and number (i.e. Pack 121 and Troop 121).
- Preferred date of the Blood Drive. Please be aware that drives are planned 3 months in advance.
- Contact information for the onsite Volunteer. This may be different than the Unit Contact who is completing the registration.
- Location of the Blood Drive.
- A preliminary schedule for the Drive. (i.e. When will the Scouts arrive? How long is the building available? Is there other scheduling information that should be included?)
- April – July – Hold Blood Drive.
- August 2021 – Make sure to report the number of volunteers that helped using the Council’s e-mail me form (to qualify for the recognition item) and through ScoutBook to qualify for JTE.
We also ask that units try and work with their neighboring units to cover as much of our council’s territory as possible. This is a great community service project that does a lot of good and can get your unit some positive exposure in the community. Any questions related to the Blood Drive can be directed to Sal Franqui at Sal.Franqui@scouting.org.
2021 FAQs for Units
How can my unit participate safely during a pandemic?
All of the requirements for groups meeting during PA’s “Green Phase” are still in effect. We have posted a detailed description of how units can meet during this phase on our website.
A few things to keep in mind when setting up collections:
- Call your donation site ahead of time. Make sure that your preferred donation site is currently open and if they have any special requirements for people making donations.
- Keep Social Distancing in mind. This may come into play when delivering the door hangers to Scouts, carpooling, or if your donation location requires pre-sorting of donations.
- Wear Masks. Scouts will be approaching many houses where people may come out to see what they are doing. Wearing that mask will protect our neighbors and show that our Scouts are good members of the community.
Also, take a Safety Moment to review how to Transport Scouts Safely.
Where do I report our Results?
Thank you for organizing a Blood Drive! The last step in the process is to report in how it went.
- Fill out the 2021 e-mail me form on-line before August 15. This document stays within the Council. We will use this information to arrange recognition items for everyone who participated and help recruit sponsors to help support the cost of the Good Turn for America campaigns.
- When the Drives are finished please make sure to enter your hours of service in ScoutBook so it can be tallied as part of your 2021 Journey to Excellence. More information about how to log your service hours can be found here.
- Do you have pictures of your unit participating in the Scouting for Food? We would love to see them! Please send any photos to Sal.Franqui@scouting.org