2019 Pack Hooked on Scouting
Recruitment Program for Fall Roundup
Hooked on Scouting is the New Birth of Freedom Council’s fall recruitment campaign designed specifically for new Cub Scouts. Every new Cub Scout recruited in August and September will receive a fishing rod and invited to participate in an exclusive fishing event!
Information for Units
How can my unit participate?
Commit to using the Hooked on Scouting program this fall, by completing this form online or you can download the form below and submit it to your District Executive.
Why ‘Hooked on Scouting’?
- Hooked on Scouting is a program that has been proven Councils to encourage Scouts to join a local unit through the added incentive of a fishing pole and a fishing event.
- Boys and girls that join at the beginning of the Scouting year get the benefit of the whole Scouting program cycle.
- Scouts and their families get to attend an exciting outdoor experience within their 1st month as a Cub Scout.
- This type of recruitment also increases the unit’s ability to recruit new leaders right away in the fall and get them trained.
How Does it Work?
Step 1: Set up a Roundup Night for August or September
Step 2: Conduct a Roundup Night in August or September
Step 3: Distribute Fishing Poles to Scouts on the Hooked on Scouting Roundup Night
Step 4: Distribute Tickets to October 5th Fishing Events
Step 5: Follow up with anyone that didn’t commit
Step 6: Have a Great Year of Scouting!
2019 New Birth of Freedom Council Hooked on Scouting Unit Guide
Recruitment Night Checklist
Recruitment Night Script and Instructions
Recruitment Night Timetable
New Member Coordinator Job Description
Using Facebook and Social Media to Promote Your Recruiting Night
Updating Your BeAScout Pin to Accept Online Applications
2019 Hooked On Scouting Commitment Form
Fishing Day Locations
Fishing Locations-October 5th 9am to Noon
- Adams County-Lake Marburg – Codorus State Park
- 2600 Smith Station Road, Hanover, PA
- Once in the park, follow signs for the Sailboat Launch area off of Smith Station Road
- Cumberland/Perry County-Colonel Denning State Park
- 1599 Doubling Gap Road, Newville, PA
- Park Maps
- Once in the park, follow signs towards the lake area. You will see Hooked on Scouting signs and you will know that you arrived at the right place.
- Dauphin County-Harrisburg Hunters and Anglers
- 6611 Hunters Run Road, Harrisburg, PA
- As you arrive at Harrisburg Hunters and Anglers follow the signs for parking and the event will take place around the lake
- York County-Gifford Pinchot State Park
- 2200 Rosstown Road, Lewisberry, PA
- Park Map
- Conewago Day Use Area -When you pull into the area labeled on the map, drive towards the boat rental area. As you reach the end of the parking lot turn left. Fishing and instruction will take place along the Lakeside Trail between the Boat Rental and the Nature Building.
- York County-Izaak Walton League of Dallastown
- 7133 Iron Stone Hill Road, Dallastown, PA
- As you arrive at the Izaak Walton League follow the signs for parking
Fishing Day FAQs
Are Families Allowed to fish at the Hooked on Scouting Day?
Yes. These are family events and we want the whole family to come and participate. Scouts should bring their new rods, but the rest of the family will have to bring rods if they want to fish at the same time. We will have VERY limited additional rods for family members to borrow.
Do I need a license?
No. We are working with the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission and each of our events are considered family fishing events so family members participating during the event do not require a lisence. If you would like to fish after the event then normal fishing regulations do apply.
What is the schedule?
Events will start at 9am. There will be general instruction for about an hour. We will teach Scouts and families to be S.M.A.R.T Anglers as well as make sure everyone knows how to tie basic fishing knots, knows how to cast a rod, and knows the basic fishing regulations for our waterways.