The New Birth of Freedom Council is encouraging all Cub Scout Packs, Scouts BSA Troops, Venturing Crews, Sea Scout Ships, Explorer Posts, and STEM Labs to participate in this year’s Scouting for Food and Shelter Drive. This is the single largest service project conducted by our Council.
This event will take place over the first two Saturdays in November. On November 7, units should go around their local communities placing door hangers to notify the community that we are conducting a local food and shelter drive. Then on November 14, units should go around to the same communities that they hung their door hangers in and pick up the food and shelter items and deliver them to a local shelter or food bank of their choice.
Units that are planning to participate can preorder their door hangers by clicking here. Door hangers should be ordered in quantities of 100. The door hangers will be at either the York or Mechanicsburg Service Centers.
Once the collection is completed, we ask that you submit your results and participation electronically using our updated EmailMeForm. Every registered Scout that helps with this service project will receive a participation patch from the council if the results and participation are reported by the end of November.
We also ask that units try and work with their neighboring units to cover as much of our council’s territory as possible. This is a great community service project that does a lot of good and can get your unit some positive exposure in the community. Any questions related to the food and shelter drive can be directed to Rebekah Schardt at Rebekah.Schardt@scouting.org.
When the Drives are finished Packs, Troops, and Crews please make sure to enter your hours of service on ScoutBook so it can be tallied as part of your 2020 Journey to Excellence. More information about how to log your service hours can be found here.
In addition to providing a service to our local communities, participating Scouts and units receive a Good Turn for America patch. Please fill out the 2020 e-mail me form so that we can make sure your unit gets its patches. Paper forms will not be accepted.
FAQs for Units
How do I order door hangers?
All door hanger orders must be submitted using this link by the end of September. We will be placing the order with the printer in early October and cannot guarantee that we will have enough door hangers for your unit if we do not have your order in September.
Do I need to use door hangers to participate?
No, you don’t. However, we do still recommend that you sign up using the EmailMeForm by the end of September to make sure we don’t have multiple units requesting donations in the same area.
Some units do choose to print their own fliers, and that is fine. Just make sure that whatever you leave at someone’s house has all the key information on it:
- This is the “Scouting For Food and Shelter Drive”.
- Let them know that food donations will be picked up on the second Saturday in November.
- Let each house know that to donate, they should place items in a plastic bag and put it outside their front door in plain view of the street by 9 AM. Scouts in their community will arrive after 9 AM and collect the food donation.
- Let each house know that items collected by the Scouts will be distributed at no cost to families in need through several local shelters and food banks.
- Include contact information. This is a great time to promote Scouting in general, and your unit specifically. Include your unit information and include the dates for your next Open House. If you don’t have a recruitment event scheduled, include the link www.BeAScout.org.
How can my unit participate safely during a pandemic?
All of the requirements for groups meeting during PA’s “Green Phase” are still in effect. We have posted a detailed description of how units can meet during this phase on our website.
A few things to keep in mind when setting up collections:
- Call your donation site ahead of time. Make sure that your preferred donation site is currently open and if they have any special requirements for people making donations.
- Keep Social Distancing in mind. This may come into play when delivering the door hangers to Scouts, carpooling, or if your donation location requires pre-sorting of donations.
- Wear Masks. Scouts will be approaching many houses where people may come out to see what they are doing. Wearing that mask will protect our neighbors and show that our Scouts are good members of the community.
Also, take a Safety Moment to review how to Transport Scouts Safely.
Where do I report our Scouting For Food Results?
Thank you for participating in the Scouting for Food and Shelter Drive! The last step in the process is to report in how it went.
- Fill out the 2020 e-mail me form on-line before November 30. This document stays within the Council. We will use this information to order patches for everyone who participated and help recruit sponsors to help support the cost of the Good Turn for America campaigns.
- When the Drives are finished Packs, Troops, and Crews please make sure to enter your hours of service in ScoutBook so it can be tallied as part of your 2020 Journey to Excellence. More information about how to log your service hours can be found here.
- Do you have pictures of your unit participating in the Scouting for Food? We would love to see them! Please send any photos to Rebekah.Schardt@scouting.org and/or Sal.Franqui@scouting.org.
Where can I drop off donations?
Donations can be dropped off at your favorite local food bank or shelter drop off location. It is always a good idea to contact the drop off location first to make sure that someone will be around to receive the donation and to make certain that our Scouts are following the donation center’s preferences for donations. A few questions to ask:
- Are you currently taking donations?
- When can we drop off the donation?
- Do we need to sort the donation first? If yes, how should it be sorted?
- Are there any safety precautions we should consider when making the donation?
For a list of donation locations that have been used in previous years, you can download a pdf: Pantry List 2020. This list offers suggestions only. Feel free to contact any donation location in your community.
Additional Unit Resources