Once you get the certifications of the background checks, please be sure to make several copies of each. They are good for five years, and other youth-serving organizations where you volunteer may need them as well. Be sure to hold onto the originals – so you can make additional copies as needed. (Pennsylvania waives the fee for the background checks only once every 57 months. So if you lose the copies before then, you would have to pay to get a new set to provide to a new organization)
Next, you’ll need to figure out who needs a copy. New Birth of Freedom Council does. Your chartering organization may and your unit might. Your unit leadership can help you figure that out.
Here are several ways any individual could submit the background check certifications or waivers:
- PREFERRED – If you are a current adult volunteer updating a clearance, please use our new Clearance Management Portal to upload directly to your profile at https://clearances.newbirthoffreedom.org or by clicking on the button directly below. Please review our directions for uploading.
- Suppose you are a new adult volunteer and wish to submit your clearances electronically. In that case, you need to upload your clearance paperwork to the Council (as PDF files or high-quality images) at http://tinyurl.com/qc6fhfm or by clicking on the button directly below. Once you are issued a BSA ID number in our registration system, you will be able to use the Clearance Management Portal for your clearances in the future.
- You could mail a copy of the certifications to New Birth of Freedom Council, BSA, Background Checks, 1 Baden Powell Lane, Mechanicsburg, PA 17050.
- You could bring a copy of the certifications to either the Mechanicsburg or York Council Service Centers. If you bring the original credentials, we will be glad to copy and give the originals back to you.
- You could email a scan or high-quality picture of your clearances to email@example.com.
- A member of our staff will review your submitted clearances within two business days. You will receive an email message from the Council letting your know if your clearance was approved or if additional information will be needed.
New Birth of Freedom Council will update the key unit leaders on who has submitted their certifications from their unit. Some units may also give specific instructions on submitting the certifications.