Our Annual Recharter Cycle has opened and below we have important resources for all of our units in support of the recharter process.
New for 2022!
- Brand New Recharter System
- Digital upload for youth and adult applications
- Digital upload for Criminal Background Check Authorization
- Digital upload for PA required background checks
- No physical copy of the charter to turn in
- Increase in registration fees. In August, new registration fees went into effect. For full details visit the ScoutingWire Article.
- Removal of Council Insurance Fee charge. There will be no $3 insurance fee for adults or youth, this will be part of the Program Fee that the unit is assessed and due in October 2022.
- Units will need to upload a Unit Recharter Pennsylvania Required Background Check Affirmation Statement.
- No more recharter codes
- Recharter must be completed by a Unit Key 3 member or a Unit Key 3 Delegate
With a brand new system the log-in process has changed. Units will no longer receive an access code. Units can directly access the system through Internet Advancement. Unit Key 3 members (Committee Chair, Chartered Organization Representative, and Key Leader) will automatically have access to the recharter system. If someone outside of the Unit Key 3 will be completing the recharter process, then the unit will need to assign them as a Unit Key 3 Delegate.
Tutorial – With a brand new system there have been a number of resources produced to help you navigate this process. Here are links to those resources.
- National Guide for Internet Recharter
- National Explainer Video on Internet Recharter
- National Webinar on Internet Recharter
- New Birth of Freedom Council Recharter Training
Additional Training Resources:
Recharter Turn In Process – The New Recharter Process DOES NOT require the unit to turn in a paper copy of the charter. Similar to last year, there will not be a recharter turn-in day. Again, we will ask that all charters be complete and submitted online by November 23. Commissioners and staff will review all recharter packets between November 22 and December 9. By December 9th, all packets that were turned in on time will receive information as to whether their recharter is complete and can be processed or whether it has defective items that still need to be resolved. Units will have from December 9th to December 31st to resolve any of these items.
If you have any questions about the turn-in process please contact your District Executive or District Commissioner.
Recharter Packet – The items listed below are supplied to each unit electronically. Additional copies may be downloaded here, and they can be shared with unit personnel working on the recharter.
- Unit Recharter Booklet 2022 – Step-by-step instructions
- Leader Roster with training and background check validation information
- 2021 Journey to Excellence Scorecard – Each unit is provided with a copy of the appropriate Journey to Excellence Scorecard. Scorecards can be uploaded with your charter or turned into either council service center.
Websites & Support
- Recharter Website – This is the link for Internet Advancement, which is where the recharter processor will log in.
- Youth Protection – This website has a Q&A about Youth Protection Training and links to the online course.
- My.Scouting Tools – This site allows units to view and update training records. Note: BSA My.Scouting login required; this is separate from the recharter processing system.
- Instructions for downloading unit Youth Protection Training and Position-Specific Training and for updating training (only available to registered Unit Key 3 members.
- Printing BSA Membership Cards instructions.
- Printing Unit Charter instructions.
- FAQs on Criminal Background Check Authorization Forms
- Unit Program Fee Information