Information for Merit Badge Counselors
Steps to complete to become one:
- The Following paperwork needs to be completed:
- Complete the Boy Scouts of America Merit Badge Counselor Form.
- Complete a BSA Adult Application for code 42 (Merit Badge Counselor).
- Attach a copy of current Youth Protection Training Certificate.
- If not on file at the council office, provide up to date PA State Clearances.
- Submit the paperwork to the council office for processing. Once accepted your Merit Badge Counselor position is valid until the end of the year when it will need to be renewed. We recommend to make a copy of the Boy Scouts of America Merit Badge Counselor Form before submitting it.
BSA Adult Application: https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/524-501.pdf
BSA Merit Badge Counselor Application: https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34405.pdf
Steps to complete for renewal:
- If you are planning on continuing as a merit badge counselor, then keep an eye out for an email around December asking you if you would like to continue as a merit badge counselor.
- Complete the information that is requested from the email and continue conducting your merit badge counselor duties.
Please note: For any of the shooting sports merit badges, some additional approvals are required. Please contact Director of Camping Todd Weidner (email@example.com) for more information about being a counselor for those specific badges.
For questions about becoming a merit badge counselor or the merit badge counselor directory, please contact Cindy Trish (firstname.lastname@example.org).